This week’s Instructor Snap Shot features Yogalates instructor, Diane Ferguson.
Instructor Snap Shot: Diane Ferguson
- Where are you from? I was born in NY, lived in Englewood Florida, then moved to Gulf Breeze when I was 16. I went to college at UCF graduating with a degree in Philosophy….for a few years after I graduated, I gallivanted…living in Chicago, Orlando, Destin, and Blue Mountain Beach.
- Tell us about your family and pets. I’m married to my best friend and husband, Bill. We have a beautiful daughter, Carmyn, who also loves yoga and Pilates. We have 2 dogs, 1 cat, and a whole pond full of Goldfish and Koi (I’m getting way too attached, but I love them!)
- What is your education and fitness training experience and background? I’ve always been athletic…I played tennis and volleyball in high school and rowed in college. When I was 26, I attended my first yoga class led by Nancy LaNasa, which ignited my passion for yoga. After 15 years of practice, I went through the 200hr teacher training course at URU, mentored by Rebecca Sathre and Jeanne Smith. I started to practice Pilates more consistently 2 years ago. I injured my shoulder, and after many different therapies, Susan Clark was the first person who actually helped me. Belief in the benefits of Pilates from my personal experience peaked my curiosity. Six months later, I began the Balanced Body Mat I & II Pilates Teacher Training.
- Do you have a career outside of fitness instruction of is this your full-time occupation? In addition to teaching yoga and Pilates, I am also a Reiki II practitioner. I stay rather busy with my classes and sessions as well as being a mom and an amazing wife. 😉
- What do you enjoy most about teaching? My students!
- What is your favorite class to teach and why? I love them all in different ways.
- What is your favorite exercise: Yoga and Pilates of course! I also enjoy walking, biking, and swimming.
- What is your favorite type of music/favorite song to listen to while working out? Avasa & Matty Love “What if the World is Beautiful (Remix with MC Yogi)” is my favorite for yoga. I like music with a positive message for class and play mostly MC Yogi, Deva & Miten, Girish, typical yogi music. In Pilates, I like to play ABBA, Madonna, George Michael. I like to have fun with my students..
- What are your favorite Yogalates essentials? My Luna Mat, Young Living Oils, blocks, and “the ring of fire.”
- What is your favorite brand of activewear and why? Pretty much anything sold at Pure Pilates, especially Beyond Yoga (my fave), Prana, Lucy, and Hard Tail. I like soft, breathable fabrics and tops with a built in bra.
- When not teaching Yogalates, what are your hobbies and interests? Spending time with my family is my priority. I nourish my Reiki daily, meditate, practice yoga, and feed the fish in our 4,000 gallon pond. Recently I began facilitating retreats, which is very rewarding.
- What is your favorite healthy snack? Homemade rice tortilla chips and guacamole or fruit.
- What is the best benefit you’ve received from Yogalates? My body feels so much stronger, and I have far fewer aches and pains. Yoga has also reduced my stress and helps me simply take things as they come
- Do you have any advice for someone just starting Yogalates? Have fun with it, and don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Anything else you want to add? I so grateful for my life. I have a wonderful husband, beautiful daughter, and I love what I do! I took me forty years to answer my calling, but I finally feel like I’m exactly where I need to be.
We hope you enjoyed this week’s edition of our Instructor Snap Shot. We still have more instructors to get to know, so check back regularly for updates. If you are interested in seeing how Diane combines the benefits of Yoga and Pilates as a Yogalates instructor, sign up for her class on MindBody.