This week’s Instructor Snap Shot features PMA Certified Pilates Instructor, Jeannie Jernigan.
Instructor Snap Shot: Jeannie Jernigan
- Where are you from? I am originally from Pensacola, but I lived in Minneapolis, MN for many years.
- Tell us about your family and pets? I have an awesome cat, Sir Lancelot. He let’s me life with him.
- What is your education and fitness training experience and background? I hold a Bachelor’s Degree of Arts with an emphasis in Education. I am a PMA certified instructor, Buff Bones certified, and Balance Body Barre certified.
- Do you have a career outside of fitness instruction of is this your full-time occupation? Pilates is my full time job!
- What do you enjoy most about teaching? I enjoy helping clients reach their full potential. For example, when I cue a client to do a particular exercise, and they don’t believe they can do it, and they are pleasantly surprised when they can!
- What is your favorite class to teach and why? It changes, but right now I am really enjoying teaching Cardio Equipment classes. They are fast-paced, clients get a great endorphin rush, and everyone works to their ability. I’ve noticed that some of my clients get competitive in this class and push themselves to work harder. Most of all, it’s FUN!
- What is your favorite exercise: Lunges on the chair are my absolute favorite! They were difficult for me when I began Pilates, so I decided to make them my favorite exercise until I could do them with ease.
- What is your favorite type of music/favorite song to listen to while working out: Theme song from Rocky, duh!
- What are your favorite Pilates essentials? The ring of fire (flex ring).
- What is your favorite brand of activewear and why? At this moment, I am a huge fan of Alo pants, and I love the Spiritual Gangster tanks!
- When not teaching Pilates, what are your hobbies and interests? I have a two-seater kayak that I enjoy taking out. I love boating and water skiing. I enjoy doing my cardio with my sweet grandson, Mason. We stroll everywhere together. In my downtime, I relish a good novel.
- What is your favorite healthy snack? Avocados!
- What is the best benefit you’ve received from Pilates: Mind-body awareness and core strength.
- Do you have any advice for someone just starting Pilates? Just do it! Everyone starts somewhere and has different strengths and limitations. We will help you find your strengths and extend them to reach your goals and improve your health.
- Anything else you want to add? Pilates has something for everyone. Pilates has been an important part of my life for years. I have several injuries, and Pilates gives me the strength and mind-body awareness to work around them. Pilates has been an invaluable in keeping me physically and psychologically healthy. I get a tremendous sense of satisfaction from sharing these benefits with clients.
We hope you enjoyed getting to know Jeannie Jernigan in this week’s edition of our Instructor Snap Shot. Be sure to check in regularly so you can get to know all of our staff. Want to try out Jeannie’s Cardio Equipment* class? Sign up for her 9am or 11:30am on Friday in Gulf Breeze.
*Cardio Equipment is a Pilates Jumpboard class. This high-intensity, jump-centric class is not recommended for those with knee, ankle, or back injuries.